we are living a simple, inspiring, luxurious life - and we are net co2 'taker-outers.' we continue to be MINUS approx. 6 tonnes of co2 EVERY YEAR. (this year we were MINUS 5.596t co2.) landfill waste still tiny 9.45kg per person/ year. water usage - 50.08 litres per person/ day. and we still get 65+% of our food within 50 miles.
the game has also inspired others - the whole point of it - and here are some of the results we know about:
- 500,000 tonnes of co2 taken out of a business annually by someone inspired by the game and conversations.
- 8 families we know bought solar pv totalling 40MW of electricity per annum.
- 2 families added solar thermal.
- 6 people bought tesla model s cars.
- (6 have put down deposits of £1,000/ $1,000 on tesla model 3, like us.) you can do so here: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/model3
- 2 bought nissan leafs (don't do that any more - buy tesla model 3!) several got rid of highly polluting cars & bought priuses & aygos.
to sum up what we've done during this game:
1. calculated and offset lifetime emissions. (climate care and carbon neutral)
2. reduced emissions with simple steps.
3. switched to renewable electricity (& now gas) supplier who expand renewable energy capacity. (ecotricity)
4. put solar panels and solar thermal on roofs.
5. bought electric vehicle number 1.
6. bought electric vehicle number 2 - the tesla model s. (deposit paid recently for the tesla model 3.)
7. bought tesla powerwall battery storage to use stored sunlight to power the house and cars - effectively off-grid living.
8. probably the simplest and most important thing. 10+ years ago brian began eating a vegetarian diet, 3.5 years ago vegan diet. amy vegan diet too. laura mostly vegan. to understand why this is the easiest and biggest impact part of this game, see the film cowspiracy.
9. inspired others........ all this while having fun. what we have done can now be done at about a third of the price that we paid.